Aliens

Few things, perverse though it may be, give me more pleasure than an unhappy, alienated film hero. I will always identify more with the Travis Bickles and the tortured chumps like Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray) in Double Indemnity than with cinema's winners. If I have a movie culture Achille's Heel, a surefire way to slay me, it's the loser, the oddball. La Vie En Rose, Old Joy, Ghost World: show me a failure and I'll show you a five star rating. On that note, two recent films about alienated guys, The Visitor and The Counterfeiters spoke to that part of me that wants to see suffering, miserable-looking sadsacks struggling to connect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Year in Film (So Far): Exploitation, War and a Brutal Economy in Film and Reality Alike

A Dark Coming-of-Age Story for Girls

Girls Will Be Girls: Damsels in Distress Navel-Gazes at an Artificial College Experience